You can get a better performance on your new laptop by browsing through the list of Laptop Advice for Writers and Journalists.
If you think any laptop on the market could be enough for writers and journalists, you are sadly wrong. For writers such as photographers, video editors and designers, when it comes to laptops, some special details need to be considered.
Keyboard Detail on Notebook for Writers and Journalists
As a writer, first of all – and perhaps most importantly – a functional keyboard alone will not be enough for you. A keyboard that is comfortable to use, has a nice touch and is very sensitive will be much better. If you plan to type tirelessly all day, you will need to choose a good keyboard first on the laptop.
Laptop Screen Detail for Writers and Journalists
The case with the keyboard also applies to screens. You will need the model with a perfect display. A display that allows you to see the screen even when you are outdoors and is not tiring even indoors should be a priority. In addition, the best laptops for writers are ideally stylish and compact. Because you never know when inspiration will arrive. You may need to write from the comfort of your own home, on your sofa, or even in a city park.
And finally, you never know how much time it will take when inspiration strikes or you need to write urgently. Therefore, having a laptop with a good battery life helps you in all these moments.
With these thoughts in mind, you can take a look at our laptop recommendations for writers and journalists prepared as of 2020.
1- Asus Chromebook Flip – $899 USD
Chromebooks do not run Windows or macOS. Instead, it supports the Chrome OS system, Google’s own operating system. This operating system is a lightweight operating system based on the Chrome web browser. It may sound restrictive, but it can be a good choice for saving money and being more practical.
In addition, you can use Google Docs as a word processor for people who write and research, and you can make detailed reviews on Chrome for research. The Asus Chromebook Flip is one of the best Chromebooks out there, and besides excellent performance, it has really superior build quality.
- A perfect companion for a content creator, programmer and power seeker powered by the Intel Core i5-10210U Processor (6M Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)
- 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and 16GB RAM, Gig+ Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) + Bluetooth 5.0
- 14 inch touchscreen Full HD 1920×1080 4-sided NanoEdge Display
- A durable 360 degree hinge that can be used to flip the touchscreen display to tent, stand, and tablet mode
- 2x USB Type-C (Gen 1) ports plus an illuminated keyboard (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
- The lightweight (2.58 lbs)
2- Dell XPS 15 – $1,749 USD
The Dell XPS 15 2020 offers great performance and one of the most immersive, colorful displays among 15-inch laptops.
The most important part of the Dell XPS 15 2020 is the revamped InfinityEdge display that bypasses the thick bottom bezel of previous models for a truly frameless display that makes movies and games look incredibly immersive. This major upgrade is complemented by some clever tweaks to the keyboard, touchpad and case that make using Dell’s portable workforce even more comfortable.
The battery life of the Dell XPS 15 2020 could be better (at least in the 4K model) and can be quite noisy under a heavy workload. But with great performance and a gorgeous display packaged in an attractive, slim package, the new Dell XPS 15 is one of the best laptops for writers you can buy if you’re looking for a bigger productivity machine.
- 15. 6″ 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) OLED InfinityEdge anti-reflective Non-Touch 100% DCI-P3 400-Nits Display
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750h (12MB Cache, up to 4. 5 GHz, 6 Cores)
- 16GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x8G
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
- Sd card reader, Thunderbolt, USB 3. 0
3- Microsoft Surface 3 – $980 USD
The Surface Notebook 3 is actually a super-sized version of Microsoft’s ultraportable features, with a gorgeous 15-inch display and powerful AMD hardware. It’s impressive for a 3.4-pound machine, but due to the lack of ports and its slim profile, it lags behind 15-inch laptops when it comes to overall power and usability.
As for the keyboard, we can easily say that it is one of the best keyboards we have ever seen. Typing feels almost like a desktop keyboard, thanks to a luxurious key travel and spacing between keys. The trackpad is enormous, smooth, and a great feature to use. (That’s what you should be looking for as a writer or journalists)
- AMD Ryzen 5 3580U, AMD Radeon Vega 9 Graphics
- 8GB DDR4 | 128GB SSD
- 15 Inch 2496 x 1664 PixelSense Touchscreen
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack | Surface Connect, USB Type-C, USB Type-A,
- 11.5 Hours of Battery Life, Windows 10 Home, Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac), Bluetooth 5.0
4- Acer Swift 3 – $829 USD
Intel introduced the Ultrabook concept on the need for a slim, stylish and portable but affordable laptop. But the result was high-end, high-priced models. Now, Acer and AMD are developing affordable, more affordable models in this area.
It has a screen that looks large for its size thanks to the thin bezels in its small 14-inch case. The IPS panel used here offers wide viewing angles and vivid colors. The renewed Swift 3 will be the most affordable model in the family, so we will see more competitive prices in the Ultrabook category. It is an interesting product especially for users who want portability but do not want to go to the budget of upper segment Ultrabooks. However, there are also restricted sides to be budget-friendly.
While the Ryzen wind continues strong, AMD is making an attempt to increase its share in budget-friendly segments, especially with Acer in the laptop market.
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 4.1GHz) with Radeon Graphics | 16GB LPDDR4X Memory | 512GB NVMe SSD
- 14″ Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio)
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader
- 1 – USB Type-C port USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C & USB Charging, 1 – USB 3.2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 – USB 2.0 port & 1 – HDMI port
- Just 0.63″ thin and 2.65 lbs and up to 11.5 hours of battery life!
5- Surface Pro 7 – $949 USD
Surface Pro 7 has very similar details to the previous model of the series, Surface Pro 6. It manages to offer a very successful experience in terms of portability and ergonomics. The computer can also be used in tablet form thanks to its stand structure.
It also has pen support. It was stated that pen support offers capabilities that make life easier, especially in Microsoft Office applications. One of them will be that you can write handwriting without the need for a keyboard. This can be a plus for you writers and journalists.
Stating that it provides a more successful Windows experience with the new Surface Pro 7, Microsoft also comes with very ambitious features on the hardware side.
- Next gen, best in class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than surface pro 6, with a 10th gen intel core processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer.
- Display Resolution – 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI)
- More ways to connect, with both USB c and USB a ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra slim and light surface pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All day battery life up to 10.5 hours